Man With a Movie Camera

One man's journey through a BFA in Film program

Monday, October 24, 2005

Thought's from Pascal

"I wonder at the hardihood with which such persons undertake to talk about God. In a treatise addressed to infidels they begin with a chapter proving the existence of God from the works of Nature... this only gives their readers grounds for thinking that the proofs of our religion are very weak... It is a remarkable fact that no canonical writer has ever used Nature to prove God."

In fact, when I try and think of how the canonical writer tried to prove God, I notice that they didn't really try. It was just evident from their works. Now this can perhaps be taken with a grain of salt, since their was very little athiesm at the time, so there was less of a need to 'prove' God as it were.

Joe Boot said something powerful to this, and he speaks in a british accent, so it was very credible and intelligent. He explained how the search for God is often not a search to FIND God, but a search to prove nothing was ever there in the first place. People look for God out of spite, in hopes that they won't find him and can finaly lay Him to rest (speaking as one whose tried that road). Is it any wonder that these people find nothing, when they search with that as their goal?

I guess we try and 'not look' for God for a number of reasons, control being a big one. I myself have these huge control issues, and can imagine that others might as well. I like to own my life, the things around me, have my own fun, etc. Often I'm less excited to take responsibility for my choices, but I like having my own choice nonetheless.

I think people are afraid of an overwhelming conviction as well. Again, I as a Christian still can't imagine what it would be like if God laid out all my crap at once in front of me. But for the seeker, if they find God, what does God say to them? "You suck, but let's be friends?"

And then their is the whole issue of the pursuit itself. Often we like the hunt but not the capture. People are always trying to be so busy so that we won't have time to think about any bad things, or to avoid thinking about others. I know I have a habit of sleeping when things get too much for me. If I can't deal with something, I sleep, and hopefully won't think on it when I wake up (not that I've dealt with at all)

I'm not sure about all of this, and I don't want to make these sweeping generalizations. But I wonder if God really will prove himself to anyone who is actually looking for the proof. I know He did in my life, and I know He did in the lives of a lot of people I know.

So let's have less of this "I look at a tree and think, God must be real" and remember that nature is not a proof, but a display.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home