Man With a Movie Camera

One man's journey through a BFA in Film program

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Jer. 8: 4-9


Yes it's in the morning, and yes I have class tomorrow. But this hit me like a tonne of bricks:

"Do people fall down and not get up?
Or take the wrong road and then just keep going?
So why does this people go backwards,
and just kepp on going - backwards!
They stubbornly hold on to their illusions,
refuse to change direction.
I listened carefully
but heard not so much as a whisper.
No one expressed one word of regret.
Not a single "I'm sorry" did I hear.
They just kept at it, blindly and stupidly
banging their heads against a brinck wall.
Cranes know when it's time
to move south for winter.
And robins, warblers, and bluebirds
know when it's time to come back again.
But my people? My people know nothing,
not the first thing of God and his rule."

This is from The Message, which is not a study Bible by any stretch, but I love how Peterson translates this into common english, like I would speak it myself.

What grabbed me was the line, "No one expressed one word of regret, not a single 'I'm sorry' did I hear." It made me realize how little I say sorry for so many things, and how often I say it for others. I go to bed many nights knowing I've missed so many opportunities to just share lives and love people, and be loved, knowing that this is exactly why God got me up that morning. But I realize what an immense task that is (from my current position), and rarely appologize for it, becuase I feel I'm justified becuase of the audacity of the task.

And really, is it THAT audacious? Love people. It doesn't sound like it would be hard, not considering everything there is to gain by doing it. I study becuase I have knowledge to gain, I work becuase I have money to gain, I eat becuase I have energy to gain. And yet I don't love, even though I have people, friends, and relationships to gain. And really, that was MOST important to Christ. He didn't worry about the eating or the working.

I say this, I KNOW this is how I should be, so let's see what happens when I wake up tomorrow.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:56 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    man, blog spam is horrid...but your blog, not at all.
    Hansen

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home