Man With a Movie Camera

One man's journey through a BFA in Film program

Monday, October 10, 2005

Gettin Dziga with it



Being a university student, more specifically a Bachelor of Fine Arts student, I seem to have a lot of time on my hands. So it was about time I got one of these that I actually use.

Just to explain the title a bit, "Man With a Movie Camera" is a 1929 film done by Dziga Vertov. It was the first film I really appreciated in my program at Ryerson. It's a soviet peice, designed to show the movement of a day in the life of communist Russia. Some people put an electronic soundtrack to it a few years back, and it's quite good.

Some other films I recomend:

-La JeteƩ
The movie that inspired Terry Gilliam's "Twelve Monkeys." Made by Chris Marker, who is some sort of 'guru' of film. Ironically, the whole thing is still photography except for one brief moment. That being said, I'm trying desperately to find it somewhere. Let me know if you see it!

-An occurance at Owl Creek Bridge
An old Mystery Science Theatre 3000 episode based on a short story by Ambrose Beirce. Not as thrilling as La JeteƩ, but a neat twist. I think they are coming out with a feature film of this in a year or two.

- The Fall of the House of Usher (both the 1928 version and the 1960 version)
The first one makes my head spin that they made it without any computer technology for compositing and stuff. The next one makes me laugh, becuase Vincent Price is hilarious in the creepiest way possible. Check out Tim Burton's first animation, Vincent for a better understanding of this guy. It's on the Nightmare Before Christmas DVD, which I'm happy to loan you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home