Man With a Movie Camera

One man's journey through a BFA in Film program

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Can't all be right...

I just engaged in a discussion about fundimentalism, where the question was 'is it worth debating with someone once you've found out they are a fundamentalist?"

Now religious fundamentalism isn't a great thing in my opinion. I believe it is a form of religious slavery, but I also have to accept that this is my own opinion.

My intitial response was that the question was loaded. It assumes that fundamentalist thinking is wrong to begin with, and that non-fundamentalist thinking is somehow of a higher plane. Now at my core, I very much think this is true, and that's an issue I think I need to deal with. In a sense, I de-value these people. It's odd, because I've learned to accept most other world philosophies as simply different than my own. I can accept athiesm becasue I can understand the reasoning behind it, I can see how someone would be a muslim, and I don't see that as 'less than me' simply becuase I have a different approach.

But what about the generally unaccptable ideas? Generally we reject them, and de-value those who hold them. Racism, anti-homosexuality, anti-semitism, etc. The problem is this: I see these as destructive ideas, ones that tear people apart, so I reject them. But I am forced to realize that I am judging them based on my own ideals, and that when one considers each of these ideas on its own, there is nothing in and of each one that makes them 'wrong.' To reject them, we need to say that another set of ideals is fundamentally right.

An illustration:

Vixen hates Red nosed reindeers. Always has. They don't have his perfect black nose. Rudolph hates Vixen for his ideals. Rudolph believes in equality.

Whose right in this situation? Both of them sadly. There is nothing intrinsic to equality to make it 'right' and nothing intrinsic to racism to make it 'wrong.' We like equality better, and therfore call racism wrong.

This is the curse of modernism.

But to be clear, this is not my own opinion. My view is that there is a moral absolute becuase this world is not purposeless. It was created, and therefore there are laws that govern us. Racism is wrong because equality is right when judged by this moral absolute.

But the kicker that I'm struggling with is how do I deal with the racist? To devalue him/her is to be equally racist. And worse, I know that God somehow loves the racist. Hates the ideals, but loves the person. I don't get it. He sees something I am apparently missing.

That's my thought for the day.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:50 p.m. , Blogger Barron C said...

    Right now, I see it as a very grey thing. The religion I think is pretty black and white, but the Bible has all of these other shades. The more I read, the more I see how much is wrong on the religious end of things. To hold to the letter of the Bible does not mean burning abortion clinics or beating up gay peopl. It means loving the world, but always realizing the mess that its in. It means placing people above every other endeavour other than God himself. I think what people commonly refer to as Fundamentalism in Christianity is really just Christian hate. If these people were truly fundamental, they would be loving people, not otherwise.

     
  • At 2:21 p.m. , Blogger Fungineer said...

    Is being Christ-like the same as being a fundamentalist? It depends on definitions, of both terms. The term fundamentalist carries a lot of derogatory meaning, and to a lot of people, being like christ is being 'middle-class, white and republican'. Jesus Christ certainly doesn't fall into the category 'fundamentalist' as defined by today's world, though as the central figure of the Christian faith, one would assume that a fundamentalist Christian would strive to be as much like him as possible.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home