Man With a Movie Camera

One man's journey through a BFA in Film program

Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Mellow Mix and a new Christianity

I made a mix CD a while ago. It was called "Mellow Mix" because, as Jess so elequently put it, 'it's so mellow I want to shoot myself.' For reference, that wasn't the intended goal.

The more I listen to it, the more I love it. It is (for me) the nearly perfect mix in my life right now. The words, and the songs all describe something so alike to everything I'm experiencing with my faith right now.

The songs are as follows:

1) The Blowers Daughter - Damien Rice
2) Call and Answer - Barenaked Ladies
3) Cannonball - Damien Rice
4) Lovers in a Dangerous Time - Barenaked Ladies
5) Sparks Fly - David Crowder
6) Spies - Coldplay
7) The Shepherd is the Lamb - The OC Supertones
8) Where is the Love - Black Eyed Peas
9) Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
10) Tell Him - Lauren Hill

Over the next few posts, I plan to sort of deconstruct each song and explain what I think it has to say about a new Christianity.

Now to begin with, I hate the term 'New Christianity,' becuase it seems like nothing more than a new take on religion, which this isn't. Rather, I see it as a journey around religion to discover the actual reality behind the dogmas and doctrines of the Christian religion.

I'm almost inclined to use the term 'emergent church' sort of stuff, but I think that's a misnomer as well. From my understanding, the Emergent church is an attempt to recapture the early church from the perspective of post-modernism, and I don't think that's entirely what I'm describing.

More what I'm describing when I say 'New Christianity' is an attempt to see Jesus without the eyes of religion or the history of the church. The church sees Jesus as the foundation, and then builds up rules and laws and sacraments on top of this foundation. But more what I'm suggesting is that Jesus is the whole building, foundation, walls, and roof, and the question I'm probing is, what does that building look like and what's inside?

Basically, without the cheesy analogy, I'm suggesting that getting to know Jesus, what he did and why he did it, is paramount, and nothing else is needed as a starting point or finishing point.

Hopefully this will make sense as I continue this musical experiment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home