Man With a Movie Camera

One man's journey through a BFA in Film program

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

More movies

Donnie Darko

It was about TIME I saw this movie. Everyone raves about it, and I can see why. My opinion (possibly a spoiler? Watch out anyway):

The whole sotry is a very unique religious encounter. Donnie was taken in by a flase prophet, Frank, the creepiest bunny ever, becuase Frank saved Donnie from dying. Donie's fear was being alone, and we see that all throughout the movie. He thinks that Frank is an answer to this fear, but Frank leaves him just as alone, and worse off. Frank leads him to a taste of togetherness, and then takes it away (the death of Gretchen). In the end, Donnie is enlightened, and sees that in death, he will no longer be alone, and that life for everyone else will be better as well.

Rent

It's about time I added this one to my blog, I saw this over a month ago.

My verdict: good, fun, worth watching, perhaps not great. I think my original point that it didn't warrent being made into a film was slightly invalid. That being said, I enjoyed, and would watch it again, but it won't be making any top ten lists I don't think. (Sorry Ai Rei)

Narnia

The first installment of this series. What can I say? I LOVE C.S. Lewis (his non-fiction literature, I think, is the gold standard of theological literature. VERY loaded with thought, but also VERY relevent and accessible.

The movie did a great job capturing the book I thought. I don't think this was for children however, which the original stories were. Reading about the Lion being killed was one thing, but watching it in fron of you is another, and there were a lot of tears during that scene.

One little dissapointment: Jadis's power was turning people to stone, Aslan's was bringing them back. Not a great fight.

Father of the Bride II

All I can say is that Steve Martin is easily the worst actor ever in this movie. He's NOT funny, he's incredibly dry. You could poke a dead cat with a stick and get better line delivery that he gave in this film.

Fever Pitch

Jimmy Fallon however IS funny. And so is Drew Barrymore. This was a great film. Very stock, but with a couple twists.
"What's you're sick movie?"
"Annie Hall..."
"Oh my gosh... that's... that's so weird.. this is crazy, you're not going to belive it: Raging Bull! What are the chances?"

The Cremaster Cycle

This is a pomo film. 7 hours long. We only watched 30 minutes. It was about a scotish man who was barfing up fabric and dressed in hot pink climbing up the walls of the Guggenheim, trying to reach the man who threw wax at lead while fighting the tiger woman with no legs.

Need I say more?

I don't get pomo. Apparenlty this is a VERY deep film. The Cremaster is apparently the muscle that raises and lowers the testicles to keep them at the appropriate temperature.

The Birds

A Hitchcock great. We only watched certain clips from it, to study the use of sound. So the sound was great, and I;d love to see the rest of the movie. He really is the master of suspense. I heard a bird flapping the other day and got kind of tense.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:15 a.m. , Blogger Shannon said...

    You must have only seen the important parts of Birds, I found it very slow...still pretty good though

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home