Man With a Movie Camera

One man's journey through a BFA in Film program

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Damien the man

This guy is gold. I love his voice, and his whole style in general. I think he's the James Blunt before there was James Blunt.

This song to me always seemed like a worship song. Something about the words, and the mood, really makes me feel like the song is describing an actual relatonship with Christ, instead of a contrived one that many worship songs use.

So this is my half beef I guess: worship songs only describe a very particular aspect of a relationship with Christ, and deny that any other aspect exists.

I think that in general, today's worship music isn't 'bad' as a lot of people are beginning to feel, but I don't see it as complete. And The Blowers daughter (and many of the songs in the Mellow mix) fills in these gaps for me.

I'm not always madly in love Jesus, like the songs might say. Often I worry, or question, or am at a point where I'm figuring out a lot, and the words of today's worship music is insufficient to describe this actual relationship, one where there are ups and downs, where there's communication and compromise, and most importantly, struggle.

If I put on a WOW worship CD, it sounds like I just need to sing along or something to be in this relationship with Jesus, when in fact, like ANY relationship, it takes more work than that. Could you imagine if the extent of your relationship with your wife or husband was just "I love you. I love you. I love you."? It's be a fairly dry relationship, and were I the husband, I might want out bad.

I think this sogn though has a sense of struggle to it. It's this extremely [i]intense[/i] mellow song. the beat is slow, but the words are cutting as he sings them. "I can't take my eyes off you." I think THAT describes where I am right now. I can't take my eyes of Christ, whether I want to or not. He's sufficiently proven himself to me, that should I want to simply ignore him, that's not even an option now. And as beautiful as that should be, it certianly is wrought with struggle as well. I don't get a lot of what He does, or why He does it, but I'm in this position where I'm incappable of looking away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home