Man With a Movie Camera

One man's journey through a BFA in Film program

Saturday, November 26, 2005

So close...

More Stations:

Dundas West
Lansdowne
Dufferin
Ossington
Christe
Wilson
Lawrence West
Glencarin
Eglinton West
St. Clair West

This only leaves me with 8 stations left to go.

A few notes so far:

-While I terms this the Every Station Project, that is perhaps a bit of a misnomer. A true 'Every Stationer' actually does something at each station, takes a picture, makes a sketch, goes outside and grabs a souveneir, etc.

-What I'm doing over 1 month has actually been done in 10 hours once.

-In rush hour and in the summer months, the T-1 trains (the newest) are easily the best and most comfortable, being that they are air-conditioned and have the most room.

-My preference though is in fact the oldest trains on the system, the H-4 trains. They have orange padded benches that are SO comfortable. I honestly almost didn't get off once becuase I loved the seats. They're the best at night if you are crossing the city.

-I have been in the system twice when a person has killed themselves (both times they did it at Ossington)

-I have, on three occasions, been able to enter the system without showing any proof of payment. This is easily done if you carry a large bag and have to use the middle gates at subway stations. Dishonest though, and you should make a point of showing the collector your metropass regardless.

Favourite Stations (in no order)
-Eglinton: The original tiles that were installed in 1954 are still there. They are actually really beautiful, white and made of glass
-Castle Frank: The Rotunda is amazing
-St Clair West: It's so dated, but the archetecture is crazy. You decend into the middle of this open expanse underground where busses and streetcars come. I thought it was neat. An elevator in the middle decending into a circle of gates comprising the fare area. It's also one of 2 stations where you can stand above a subway train and see it enter, which I think is neat.
-Bloor: With no poles or barriers between the two tracks, and an deeper platform, this station looks gigantic.
-College: Because it's my station!!!

Leat Favourite (again, no order)
-Ossington: While I can't imagine actually seeing a suicide here, it has a reputation, and I was really uncomfortable on the platform becuase of it
-Scarborough RT (the whole thing): What can I say? It's ugly, it's inefficient, and the stations are crap. It was easily my least enjoyable excursion when I did it.
-Glencarin: It's total 70's, and the brown/orange scheme reminds me of vomiting up carrots. And I don't like carrots.
-Pape: I thought I'd like this one, but it really smelled bad, and was really unclean.
-Spadina: Only becuase I HATE walking the distance between platmorms (it's about a kilometer, the longest fare-paid walk in the system)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home