Man With a Movie Camera

One man's journey through a BFA in Film program

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Jesus Christ, Superstore

Not a 'hard hitting' revolutionary article, but worth a read:

When Hollywood stopped making Bible movies

It goes into the reasons why such talentless works can be so popular and do so well in Christian sub-culture, using the Left Behind series as an example.


I also want to make something clear, which may not be from reading this blog. I spend a lot of time critiquing the church, Christianity, and religion. My hope is that this isn't confused with critiquing Jesus, or the Bible. For me, the two are very separate. I wish this weren't so, but unfortunately 'Christianity' and religion have not been the better examples of what Christ actually taught. It is riddled with hypocrisy, exclusivity, and an unloving attitude.

But in NO way can I speak out against the actual teachings of Jesus. He wasn't the prude we may think of when we think of Christians, who looks down on all those around him. He was sincere in his love for people, not superficial. Bruxy Cavy spoke on this a while ago, and I think he hit it right on the nose. He came to tear down these religions that hold us in bondage. But not just religion, all these things that keep us down.

So while I often try and bring to light things that are wrong with Christianty (and I confess to being very much a part of these things, I've read a lot of the Left Behind books too, and have purchased my fair share of medicore music), I think it's so important to see what's right about it. And honestly, just look into the life of Jesus. Pretty much all of what's right can be found in what He said.

(And by 'pretty much,' I mean, everything. Beginning and end.)

1 Comments:

  • At 2:10 p.m. , Blogger Fungineer said...

    http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/

    barron, I stumbled across this website today. thought you might like it. I'm sure there's a million like it on the internets, but whatever.
    ocean's 11 is a great flick, from an entertainment perspective.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home