Man With a Movie Camera

One man's journey through a BFA in Film program

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

More for your viewing pleasure:

I, Worst of All
Don't let the tagline or the rating fool you. This movie has nothing to do with lesbian nuns, and there is indeed no nudity or nothing even 'questionable' about this film.
That being said, it could have used something.
I just finished writing my paper on this film, and I think I've spent all the time I want to with it. It tells the tale of the extraordinary Spanish writer, Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz. She was a nun who wrote beautiful poetry (I think, I only read it in Spanish).
The film focuses mainly on femminism, which is interesting, since Sor Juana's life, though marked by the usual inequality one may find between men and women in Colonial Mexico, was for more driven by dichotamy between the religious and the secular.
What is most depressing about this film is where the director ends it, after Sor Juana has signed her renunciation of her secular works. We leave feeling angry and upset that she was forced to do this (though historically, it's questionable whether she was foreced). We get no glimpse into the truly exemplary life she led afterwards. She turned in to the Mother Theresa of 18th century Mexico.

But no one wants to hear about that I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home