Man With a Movie Camera

One man's journey through a BFA in Film program

Saturday, November 26, 2005

I honestly can't think of a title...


Winter has come, and for the first time I'm happy about it.

Every year it comes, and every year it marks a real low point in my year. I generally chock it up to SAD, but of course that's just a shot in the dark. This year, however, I'm almost excited about it. Toronto is one beautiful city, and the snow adds to it. Right now, Dundas Square is all lit up for Christmas, the Eaton's Centre has their giant tree up, the quad is covered in a fresh blanket, and people have all brought out thier winter jackets. I like winter jackets for some reason. I don't know why, but often when I see a person in their winter jacket, it's one of the stronger images I retain for some reason. Couldn't tell you what kind of shirts or pants they own, but I can usually place the winter jackets.

Today was one of those continually brilliant days, where nothing was over-the-top fantastic, but everything just fell into place in a really nice and enjoyable way. I had my history tutorial this morning, which got me up at 10. I wasn't keen on going, but was so glad I went. I love the prof for that class. She's witty and is able to bring out so much in discussion. I think I'm really going to miss those tutorials.

I went to the Hub for lunch, for what I assumed would be lunch by myself, since no one else is in my history tutorial, but everyone was there for some reason (turns out a lot of people have their liberal studies class on friday morning). I think one of things I hate most is eating by myself. Eating is a communal activity, that we are unlucky enough to have to do by ourselves most often. Twice in my life have I eaten at a restaurant by myself (both times they were a mexican restaurant, people just don't like to eat mexican with me for some reason...) I really didn't enjoy the experience. Try sitting there with no one to talk to, and have a person wait on you. It's just weird.

Tools and Apps was a workshop today on printing and enlarging. I didn't do too well at first. My contact sheets were useless, but eventually I got the hang of it. I was in the room with the printer, which really streamlined the process. I really enjoyed doing it though. I was there for an extra hour or so just trying to get 3 solid prints. I think what else I liked was the fact that this was SO new to me. I've never done anything like it, and consequently know nothing about it. This brought me outside my bubble and forced me to (gasp) ask for help!!!

Much thanks to you Karen, by the way!

Dinner was going to be another lone affair at Pitman hall, when I ran into Levi and his floor-mate. So once again I was saved from the awkwardness of having to read the paper while eating. Not sure what the draw at Pitman Hall was, as the ILLC is a much better cafeteria, though that's not saying much, since I can't imagine anyone being drawn to any of the cafeterias out of something other than neccessity.

Finally I went home to work on design a bit, and head to bed. I kinda wanted to go see Everything is Illuminated, but interest was lacking.

All this isn't to say that my life is of any real interest, but just that I love this city, I love this program, and most of all, I love the people here. I'm told I'm a bit withholding when it comes to showing that, but I do. If we eat together, sit together, work together, critique each other, or build each other up, then considered yourself loved.

I think that's a good way to end this post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home