Man With a Movie Camera

One man's journey through a BFA in Film program

Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar Night

Crash won best picture.

I agree. It was one of the most beautiful films I've seen. I feel like I want to say it's my favourite movie, but it's not really. I've avoided watching it again, simply becuase the images it presents are almost too much. People learning to love each other, an to live and breathe in the mess around us makes for a powerful story.

Congrats to Paul Haggis.

I know [i]everyone[/i] was betting on Brokeback mountain to win, and from what I see and hear, it looks like a fantastic movie, but I'm really pleased at the statement that was made by Crash winning. Brokeback Mountain made some very important points about acceptance and love and respect, but I feel like Crash makes it more global. Rather than localizing it to a single social issue (homosexuality) it makes the point that this love and respect crosses ALL boundaries, and forces us to evalute how we as a society treat everybody, whether they are gay, straight, black, brown, rich, or poor.


"People matter. Life is Sacred. Men women and children are worth the greatest sacrifice, the supreme effort, the ultimate gift." -The OC Supertones

This is from their song 'The Shepherd is the Lamb,' and it's one of those phrases I aim to build a life upon. I was so struck that a movie like Crash was ever made. The issues are real, almost cliché, but the message isn't tied to any agenda, or social program. It simply says that people have value no matter who they are. I'm not of any visible minority, I've never felt anyone was being racist towards me, and I've never really had to deal with most of the issues that Crash attacks on the surface, so my exaltations aren't tied to any personal experience in that respect. But in spending time with Jesus, I see how that's pretty much ALL He's about. Breaking through mess, and granting worth to people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home