Man With a Movie Camera

One man's journey through a BFA in Film program

Thursday, January 05, 2006

The guy on the hill



So this was my small bout of creativity this Christmas season. And in that, it's not even very creative. Shannon McCulkeen painted an image very similar to this for the cover of my journal. It was perfect. I gave it to her one week and asked if she would paint it. She asked what did I want on it? I told her I didn't know, so she said she'd pray about it, and find the right image.

And this is similar to what she came up with. It's freakin brilliant if you ask me (her picture). The image has stuck with me for years, and I've always pictured myself as the man in the image (litterally in the image above. That's me in black there). Over the years I've always been drawn to what that guy is thinking about up there. It changes with my mood, but he's never upset or angry. He's always very contemplative. Either he's saying thank you, or pouring his heart out, or saying he's sorry, or just hanging out with the Man.

A lot of my work includes subtle references to this image. For my final ISU in English, I wrote a short sotry entitled 'Up on the Mountain,' For a few of my films, I've included shiloettes to define characters, and this year, two of my design projects have featured this colour scheme.

Should Shannon ever read this, I'm sorry the most creative thing I've done lately is to simply steal your work. But of all the images I've ever seen, for some reason, yours stands out above them all.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:27 p.m. , Blogger Unknown said...

    I'll try not to make any reference to "the Fool on the Hill" by the Beatles.


    Whoops...

    crap. Sorry about that.

    Seriously, though. Neat picture. And that's just the kind of backstory that'll fill out an autobiography nicely once you get rich a world-famous.

     
  • At 11:40 p.m. , Blogger Bob Rockhill said...

    I love this picture. I've seen it on your avatar on Spymac. I'd love a big version of it. Make a great desktop picture. :-)

    I appreciate your witness

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home